Our social ride leaders are planning well ahead and scheduling rides for the winter months as an incentive to get out and about during the colder weather. Planned rides may change closer to the date, so keep on eye on In the Loop and the events calendar. Be sure to RSVP to rides you are interested in, so you will be notified if they are cancelled or changed.
Pawleena Penna Circuits – Sunday 28 May
The Pawleena Penna Circuits ride on Sunday 28 May includes a rural jaunt on unsealed roads and the picturesque loop around Orielton Lagoon.
Meet ride leader David at the McDonalds car park in Sorell at 9.45am for the first 17km loop up to Pawleena and back. You can take a break or continue on a second 13km loop on bike trails around the lagoon.
Please RSVP in case of cancellation. There will be a chance to get together for lunch following the ride. https://ridewithgps.com/events/211247-pawleena-penna-circuits
Burnie–Stowport ride – Sunday 28 May
This month’s northwest ride, with ride Leader Jan, on Sunday 28 May will head from Burnie out to Stowport and back via Fernglade Road.
Meet at 10.45am at the Burnie Yacht Club for either the Stowport route, or the Glance Creek Road circuit to beef up the kilometres. An easier ride option heads to Cooee and back along the pathway.
E-bike Coffee Cruise: Cadbury Loop – Thursday 1 June
The 29km E-bike Coffee Cruise on Thursday 1 June is an easy ride up the Intercity Cycleway to the Cadbury Estate loop then back along the cycleway.
Join ride leader Di at 9.45 am at the car park at McVilly Drive at the start of the cycleway for the ride, with a coffee stop on the way back at Baked in Moonah.
RSVP in case of cancellation: https://ridewithgps.com/events/220556-e-bike-coffee-cruise-cadbury-loop
Lenah Valley Looper Friday Coffee – Friday 2 June
The 18km Looper ride on Friday 2 June starts and finishes in Lenah Valley, boasting bush, city and water views.
Meet ride leader Maryanne at 9.45 am outside Banjos Bakery in Augusta Road for the quick ascent on gravel paths through Knocklofty Reserve, then along the rivulet path and onto city streets before hitting the Intercity Cycleway.
RSVP in case of cancellation: https://ridewithgps.com/events/219638-lenah-valley-looper-friday-coffee
Margate to Coningham Return – Saturday 10 June
The 22.5km Margate to Coningham Return on Saturday 10 June is an exploration of the main shared path and the bush paths in the area.
Meet ride leader Jack at the Dru Point car park at 9.30am before heading to the shared path to Snug then exploring trails and quiet streets to Coningham and returning along quiet streets.
RSVP in case of cancellation, there will be a stop for coffee along the way or at the end of the ride: https://ridewithgps.com/events/220055-margate-to-coningham-return
Cambridge Park Loop – Sunday 11 June
The 29km Cambridge Park Loop on Sunday 11 June explores quieter roads and paths around the airport, so you might get a little plane spotting in when not enjoying the coastal views.
Meet ride leader David at the Harvey Norman end of the car park at Cambridge Park at 9.45am to head straight through Acton Park to Lauderdale and around Roches and Seven Mile beaches.
There will be a coffee stop afterwards, please RSVP in case of cancellation: https://ridewithgps.com/events/212749-the-cambridge-park-loop
Wednesday morning TBUG rides for May/June
- 31 May: Westbury to Bogan Road, meet 9.15am at the Franklin Street sportsground in Westbury.
- 7 June: Longford to Bishopbourne, meet 9.45 am at Lyttleton Street.
- 14 June: Cressy Blackwood Creek, meet 9.45am at the Big Fish in Main Road Cressy.
Upcoming rides & events
- Deloraine Yulefest weekend – Saturday 24 – Sunday 25 June
- Kingston Creeks and Hill – Saturday 24 June
- Agrarian Kitchen to Lachlan – Sunday 25 June
- Extended Tranmere Trundle – Sunday 9 July
- Howrah Men’s Shed Amble – Thursday 13 July
- Christmas in July Longley – Saturday 15 July
- Blackmans Bay to Tinderbox Loop – Saturday 22 July
- Eastern Shore Fruit Loop – Saturday 29 July
- Turners Beach – Sunday 30 July
- Charles Darwin Trail – Saturday 12 August
- Hobart to New Norfolk Fruit Loop – Saturday 26 August
- Ulverstone – Sunday 27 August
- Kangaroo Bay to Mt Rumney – Saturday 9 September
- Forcett to Dunalley Fruit Loop – Saturday 23 September
- Gunns Plains – Sunday 24 September
- Margate to Kaoota return via Sandfly – Sunday 1 October
- Kangaroo Bay and local bush tracks – Saturday 7 October
- The Mighty Eastern Shore Challenge – Saturday 21 October
- Riana – Sunday 29 October
- Bothwell Apsley Country Loop – Sunday 12 November
- Shearwater–Moriarty–Sassafras circuit – Sunday 26 November
- Burnie Fernglade – Sunday 31 December
Bicycle Network Tasmania accredits Social Ride Leaders and requires anyone interested in leading rides to be accredited. If you would like to be one of our Ride Leaders, please email our Rides Coordinator with your contact details and what sort of riding you are interested in and we'll let you know when the next Ride Leader Skills Development Workshop is scheduled.
Our social rides leaders follow a set of protocols to help make our rides safer:
- Meeting places for rides will have plenty of space for people to maintain 1.5 metre to 2 metre distancing while unloading bikes, listening to the briefing, and getting ready to ride.
- Riders are asked to register online or via phone so there is no paper being handed around on the day.
- People are asked not to attend rides if they have fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue, shortness of breath or runny nose or are in mandated isolation.