Tram network upgrades scheduled for Collins and Spencer streets will cause significant traffic disruption in coming months.
The tram tracks on Spencer and Collins streets have reached the end of their life and must be replaced.
Track renewal and maintenance will be underway from Monday 14 May for early works, and then from 30 June until 10 July for major works.
The early works will be done at night. The major works will occur 24/7 and will include full road closures.
Collins Street will be affected between Batman Hill Drive in the south to Tram Stop No 1, just east of Spencer Street.
Spencer Street will be affected between Little Collins Street and Flinders Street.
The early works will be held nightly from 9pm to 5am, between Sunday 14 May and Friday 30 June. Weekends will be free of works during May only.
- Nightly lane and parking closures on Collins Street between Spencer Street and tram stop 1 in Collins Street.
- Nightly closure of the intersection of Spencer and Collins streets (as required).
- Nightly lane and parking closures on Spencer Street between Little Collins and Flinders streets.
- Eastbound lanes on Flinders Street will be closed on one night for service investigation works.
- Works will move along Spencer and Collins streets as investigations progress.
- Traffic management and signage will direct traffic. Please follow signage around the works.
During early works there will be no changes to tram routes 11, 12, 48, 96 and 109 during major works.
The major works will begin at 10pm on Friday 30 June and operate for 24 hours daily until 5am, Monday 10 July.
- Kerb-to-kerb fencing along the worksite.
- Extreme noise levels for the first few days tracks are dug and asphalt and concrete are poured.
- The intersection of Collins and Spencer streets will be closed.
- Collins Street will be closed from Batman Hill Drive to tram stop 1 in Collins Street.
- Spencer Street will be closed from Flinders Street to Little Collins Street from 10pm, Friday 30 June to 5am, Tuesday 4 July.
- Spencer Street, between Flinders Lane and Flinders Street will reopen at 5am, Tuesday 4 July.
- One eastbound traffic lane on Flinders Street will be closed from 10pm, Friday 30 June to 5am, Tuesday 4 July.
- Access to Southern Cross Station will change. Details will be confirmed closer to works.
- Footpaths on Collins and Spencer streets will remain open throughout.
- On-street parking and some side streets will be closed for materials storage.
- Traffic management and signage will be in place. Please follow signage around works.
There will be service changes to tram routes 11, 12, 48, 109 and 96.
Once the major works are complete some final works will follow.